Saturday, January 28, 2012

Soup Kitchen: Day 1

Dear Mom,

Today I worked at the local soup kitchen. I have been wanting to make good use of my free time during the week AND do something that bettered the local community. Ok, so I tried the Boys and Girls Club first, but they are harder to volunteer for than getting a Jonas brother to give up his purity ring. I was dismayed, I love to work and hang with kids of all ages, but after my experience at the Soup Kitchen, I don't think I was ever meant for the Boys and Girls Club.
On Wednesday, I made my way down to the Catholic Charities Soup Kitchen (located right in the heart of downtown Colorado Springs!) and filled out paper work and signed up for my first ever shift. The next day, Thursday, I showed up early for my 10am - 2pm shift. I was immediately greeted by a number of people who were more than happy to help, playful, and welcoming. I was new and feeling nervous simply because I didn't want to make things difficult for the veteran workers and volunteers while I learned the ins and outs of the operation. Wow! And, what a large operation it was to behold. I was impressed by the magnitude of the kitchen, the systems in place for maximum efficiency, and the large number of people working / running around. I was depressed by the fact that the Soup Kitchen needed to be that large in the first place. Colorado Springs, overall, is a fairly affluent city and seeing the constant large number of people come in the door and get in line, for what was most likely their only meal of the day, was upsetting to me. Nonetheless, I was happy to be helping and kept my thoughts and concerns about local and national society to myself and worked diligently with a smile on the whole time.
My job was to take, well actually to "run," the freshly cleaned dishes, cups, bowls, dessert plates, spoons (forks and knives aren't allowed...they're weapons in waiting) and tray back out to where the servers can re-use them for the next patron. I went home soaked from sweat, clean dishwater, and surprise upright mugs of water. I made a few friends: Merle, Charles, Greg, and Tom...oh! and "big chef" as I secretly called him...never did catch his name. Whoops!I Promise to learn it next week.
I am looking forward to going back next week. it is my hope that I get to know the volunteer regulars and the Soup Kitchen patron regulars. I've long struggled with the issue of homelessness in this country on both the macro and the micro scales. When I see a person in the street, on the curb, in a park, etc. I instantly start thinking about a number of things. Who were you before this? What lead you here? What have you tried to resolve your situation? What is it you really need / want? Where is your family? Friends? Did you lead yourself here? Did society fail you? Forget you? What are your days like? What do you think of me? I'm never sure of my own emotions or convictions in that singular moment where you unexpectedly meet someone you've had such strong convictions about when not faced with that very human face.
The one thing that I was the least prepared for was the number of children, young families, and veterans. Stereotypically in our society (film, television, mass culture etc) homeless folks are portrayed as some ratty, lazy, drunkard bum. I won't claim to be exempt from having any stereotype image in my head, but I am far from out of touch with reality. Or so I thought. Social injustice takes on many forms; whenever children are involved it immediately take top priority, at least in my world. I will be going back to volunteer again and again until I happily get a chance to great a newcomer and announce "this is the smallest we've ever been, our work really makes a difference."

I miss you. I love you. Keep a watch out for me.

Love,
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment